Principal’s October Message
The report from our WSE-MLL (whole school evaluation-management, leadership, and learning) has been published on the Department website. I encourage you all to read it. While there are naturally recommendations the overall evaluation is very encouraging. As you will read from the Board’s response, we in Crescent welcome the report which affirms the work of the College; the board is particularly pleased that the report identifies the following:
• All matters relating to Child Safeguarding are correct; the school is compliant in every way.
• There is a very strong sense of pride and commitment to the school’s ethos of Jesuit education
• There are very high levels of parent and past pupil support
• The Board and senior management are very effective
• There is a very high standard of teaching practice, and the overall quality of teaching is good or very good
• Student learning is very good, with some excellent practice, and high quality learner experiences
• There has been very good implementation of management related recommendations from previous evaluations
• A reflective and improvement-driven ethos is evident in the school
• Questionnaire returns indicate that parents and teachers feel that the school is well-run
• A very high priority is attached to the holistic development of students
• Staff are very generous
• Support for students with SEN very well deployed and coordinated
• The quality of governance in the school is of a very high standard
• The board has established measures to provide transparency and accountability in the management of the school’s financial resources
I look forward to considering the report and recommendations in detail with the Parent Council, staff and board.
The AGM of the Parent Council was held on 26 September; I wish to thank Ms Ann O Mahony and Ms Aine Ni Chartaigh and their fellow Council members for their work during the course of the year, and wish the new Council the best for 18/19. I also take this opportunity to congratulate the new parent nominee to the Board, Ms Sinead Clohessy, and am confident Sinead will contribute a lot to board discussions.
On Friday 28 September we gathered in the Central Area to celebrate Mass. I am grateful to Fr Jim Maher SJ who officiated and to Ms Grainne Delaney, who coordinated everything. It is an important occasion in our school year where students and teachers come together and take time to reflect on and give thanks for our good fortune, and also ask for blessing on all in the Crescent community, families and alumni for the coming year.
I commend all students who have got off to a strong start in terms of their academic work. House exams for 6th years take place during the week beginning 22 October.
Congratulations are in order to our DP Mr Diarmuid Mullins who has been appointed Limerick Minor hurling manager; well-deserved and we wish him success in this role.
We are looking forward to welcoming another talented coach Mr Joe Schmidt to the College on the evening of Wednesday 17 October. He will address an audience in the Central Area which will include adults and students. We have decided against making this a fund-raiser and instead wish to issue tickets to those who have supported the school over the years. We have also invited the five former Crescent students who earned full Irish caps and will induct them into our Roll of Honour. They are Peter Clohessy, Kelvin Leahy, Paul and David Wallace and Eoin Reddan. We intend to use this occasion to display some provisional plans for our new science labs and other campus development.
Recently we held an extraordinary assembly to honour a more recent Irish cap, Ms Roisin Upton, and induct her into our Roll of Honour. Roisin was congratulated on her achievement in playing on the only Irish team to reach a World Cup Final in any code, when she played in the recent Hockey world cup final. Roisin was happy to pay tribute to Sean O Callaghan and the other coaches who had trained her over her years in Crescent. Roisin impresses in every way and is a remarkable young woman of whom we are very proud.
I want to thank you all again for your support for the school.